Thursday, November 8, 2012

Gee whilickers! It's a retro invasion!

We moved into this house at the end of August and the first thing I had to contend with was these oh so lovely orange-tinted paneling covered walls. Aren't they gorgeous?


My first thought was to use gel stain on the walls and make them a deep rich brown. Then I went to the store, saw the price of gel stain and realized there was no way ever I would pay that much money to paint the walls of a rental unit. Suck it up and deal with it, Melissa.

Then I found this table.


Circa 1950's, it is my dream table. I love the chrome. I love the mustard yellow leather. Most of all, I love the sturdiness of old furniture. Once the table moved in it was easy to see that this room needed a little retro lovin'.

                         
 


It's a long way to being done but so far I've made this awesome hanging light from records, bought a few secondhand vintage bowls and this really cool fabric I found at the surplus store. There's a bookshelf waiting to be retro-ized, a black and white leather couch and some t-shirt rag carpets on my to-do list but most of that will have to wait until after Christmas. For now, I'm adoring the way this room is turning out.

No comments:

Post a Comment